Sunday, December 13, 2009

Moravian Crisps

Not far from Durham in the town of Winston-Salem, there is a bakery that makes Moravian spice cookies. They are renowned for their pungent spice flavors as well as how amazingly thin they are. In fact, some claim they are the "world's thinnest cookie." Now you don't need to travel all the way to North Carolina to get your cookies (though you probably should anyways) thanks to Gourmet magazine.

Moravian Crisps

Admittedly, I did not roll out the cookies as thin as possible. This is one of my first batch of cookies where I felt comfortable rolling out dough and cutting out the cookies. Mine are more like Moravian gingerbread people (In the picture they're apparently trying to escape.). I decided to omit the icing since I'll be shipping these people around the country. But the cookies don't really need any sprucing up. They have a great holiday taste that replicates those found in Winston-Salem pretty darn well. I think they're a good alternative to the gingerbread cookie this time of year, so if you want a change of pace try making some Moravian people.

No comments: