Friday, December 11, 2009

Fruitcake Cookies

It's that time of year when I go bat-$#!+ crazy about baking for the holidays. I find it easier to make people happy with food than to go out amidst the shopping mayhem. To kick baking off for this season, I chose this recipe that makes fruitcakes more palatable.

Fruitcake Cookies

American tradition requires fruitcakes to be dense, heavy and weird in flavor. To receive a fruitcake is often seen as an insult. Most of the manufactured versions of these desserts end up as doorstops, paperweights and bricks for building the first homes of the new year. Other cultures have made wonderful fruitcakes and breads. For instance, Italy has its pannetone, which is deliciously eggy, sweet and light, studded with various candied fruits and nuts. Last year, Bon Appetit magazine managed to bring fruitcake back to our recipe boxes with fruitcake cookies. I will admit that their recipe did seem a bit alcoholic with sherry and bourbon appearing in both the dough and the icing. I used apple juice instead to absolutely no detriment. These cookies are not only edible, but they're delicious. The fruits and nuts contained within the cookie make a wonderfully sweet treat fitting of the holidays. I added some orange extract to the icing as a nice surprise. So now I must doff my Santa hat to Bon Appetit for successfully updating an old classic.

No comments: