Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Cappuccino Brownies

Continuing with my holiday baking extravaganza, I took a break from cookies to prepare this batch of brownies. For me, brownies used to be delicious slices of chocolate cake with more of a cookie-like consistency. But over time, I've come to appreciate darker, richer chocolate flavors. While the cakier brownies still have their place in the world, my ideal brownie is more like a crumbly, chewy fudge. After seeing this recipe for cappuccino brownies in Bon Appetit magazine, I could not help but add them to my baking to-do list.

Cappuccino Brownies

Dense, fudgy brownies begin in a saucepan. The first and primary ingredient is the chocolate, which is melted with butter. Sugar and eggs are added, then espresso powder (for enhanced chocolate flavor intensity), vanilla and salt. Finally the flour is incorporated and the brownies are baked just until they are just done. A little underdone never hurt either, as the remaining batter condenses as it cools.

To recreate the look of a cappuccino, a white chocolate ganache is spread on top and allowed to cool completely. A light dusting of cinnamon finishes off the illusion. The espresso powder in the brownies helps these wonderful confections to taste as if you are chewing your favorite drink from the local coffee bar.

No comments: