Thursday, April 3, 2008

Turkey Chili - 3/31/08

I was in a soupy mood, so I decided to make a delicious chili.

Turkey Chili

This one started with a base of onions and zucchini. They key for soups is not to saute or sear the veggies, but rather to "sweat" them over lower heat with some spices. To this I added the ground turkey and let it cook all the way through. Then I added garlic salt, tomatoes, some tomato paste, and water. I let this simmer for about a half hour, then added the kidney beans. The original recipe called for some cornbread dumplings, but when I made their dough, it was too wet to form real dumplings upon the first try. So instead, I made some small cornbread ovals and baked them in the oven. To serve, I spooned the chili into a bowl and topped it with two cornbread ovals, a dollop of sour cream and fresh cilantro. The dish turned out good and has made great lunch and dinner leftovers.

1 comment:

Lindsay said...

That looks so good! I think I'll have to make some before it gets too warm here in Michigan.