Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Chicken-Sweet Potato Stir-Fry - 3/11/08

While at the Webster flea market (the largest in Florida), I picked up some sweet potatoes and bok choy, along with some other cheaply-priced produce. I thought, "Would I be able to combine the sweet potatoes and bok choy together?" The answer, apparently, is yes.

Chicken-Sweet Potato Stir-Fry

I started off by cutting the sweet potatoes into cubes and microwaving them for about 5 minutes. I next cooked the chicken over high heat in sesame oil, soy sauce, teriyaki sauce, and seasoned rice vinegar. I removed this from the heat and set it aside. Then I cooked some shiitake mushrooms in more sesame oil, then added the sweet potatoes. To this, I added more seasoned rice vinegar, soy sauce and teriyaki sauce along with some hoisin and duck sauce. If you don't know, hoisin is a dark sweet sauce used in Asian cuisine and it has a hint of plum flavor to it. I mixed this all together, then added the bok choy to allow it to soften and wilt. I added the chicken back in along with some bean sprouts.

As a side, I made some "Asian" rice, which is pretty much jasmine rice cooked with turmeric, sugar and dry mustard. It came out yellow thanks to the turmeric (saffron can do the same thing). The flavors in each dish melded well, so I would consider this experiment a success.

No comments: