Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Bread Gnocchi - 3/18/08

For those of you who have not heard of gnocchi, it is made with potato flour to give a nice, dense pasta. I found a recipe for this version of gnocchi that is handy if you have some extra bread around.

Bread Gnocchi

I took a loaf of ciabatta, pulled it apart into small pieces and let it soak in water for about 30 minutes. Then I squeezed out any excess water from the bread. To this, I added 2 eggs, garlic salt, pepper, oregano, and parsley. After mixing this well with my hands, I formed it into balls and dropped each ball into a greased pan over medium heat. I browned the balls on each side and removed them from the heat. On top is a canned tomato sauce (sweet pepper, to be exact). In the background, you can see some ciabatta pieces I served on the side. While this is a far cry from classic gnocchi, it was a fairly quick, easy and delicious meal.

No comments: