Sunday, October 5, 2008

Salmon Agrodolce - 9/28/08

Salmon Agrodolce

Agrodolce, literally translated from Italian, means sweet-sour. This recipe was simple and sweet (...and sour). First step: pan fry the salmon. When I bought my salmon, my only option was to buy the pre-packaged, frozen salmon. I would have preferred some fresh salmon, skin-on that did not have a wonderful fluorescent orange color, but beggars can't be choosers. Anyways, after cooking the salmon on both sides, remove from pan. Saute some red onion that has been wedged until it is golden brown. Stir in a decent amount of balsamic vinegar (2/3 cup), a teaspoon of sugar and some salt, and allow the mixture to reduce down to a syrupy sauce. I served the salmon topped with the sauce and with a mound of couscous on the side. I liked this sauce because of the interplay of the vinegary and the sweet, not to mention the almost black color which is not something you find a lot in your entrees.

No comments: