Friday, September 14, 2007

PB&J Bars - 9/14/2007

PB&J Bars

My goal for this was to make a dessert that looked like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. I wanted to find a peanut butter brownie recipe to use so that they would be dense enough, but I could not find anything. I ended up using a Paula Deen recipe for Peanut Butter Cake. I doubled the peanut butter and reduced the shortening accordingly, and the result was a large moist cake. I wanted to make all of the bars at once originally, so I sliced the cake in half at this point. The cake was so moist and my cutting skills are so underdeveloped that I ended up with uneven slices in some areas. I cut the cake into large squares and spread a healthy layer of strawberry jelly between each layer. To mimic the look of PB&J sandwiches, I cut each large square into two straight or triangular halves and served them in pairs. Despite the extra peanut butter, the flavor of the cake was very mellow. The next time I make this, I will definitely have to change that since PB is one of my favorite foods on earth. ;-) Below is an extreme closeup.

PB&J Bars Closeup

No comments: