Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Seafood Gumbo and Apple Chicken - 1.28.09

I've been in a soupy mood lately, so here's what I ended up with:

Seafood Gumbo

This is seafood gumbo. The only changes I had to make to the recipe I used was substituting turkey bacon for regular bacon, which meant I had to add more vegetable oil to the roux. I will admit I should have cooked the roux a bit longer to turn more dark brown, but I was impatient. With the roux, I cooked onion, bell pepper and garlic. Then I added the fish stock, canned tomatoes, frozen okra, thyme, bay leaf, parsley, and scallions. After letting the vegetables cook, I added fresh shrimp, some canned oysters and lump crabmeat. It is my understanding that gumbo is served with a mound of rice, so I made my rice into an island in the center of a sea of the gumbo. This gumbo turned out nicely with seafoody goodness. It's a good thing I like it because it made about 10 servings worth of soup. It does make a nice lunch on cold days, though.

Apple Chicken with Moroccan Quinoa

My main meal of the week was apple and honey-glazed chicken. Like most of the chicken dishes I make, this one is pretty simple. Cook the chicken breasts in a pan with some salt and pepper. In a bowl, mix together some honey, Dijon mustard, cinnamon, salt, and apple jelly. While the chicken cooks, baste it with this sauce. Once the chicken is done, serve it topped with the sauce from the pan. The chicken comes out sweet, but not overtly so, with an interesting addition of the mustard to the sauce. As a side, I made red quinoa and mixed in some cumin, turmeric, lemon juice, toasted pine nuts, chopped dried apricots, salt, and green onion. The spices in the quinoa as well as the sweet apricot complimented the chicken pretty nicely, and the combination of the two seemed to improve each other by adding depth.

No comments: