Thursday, August 28, 2008

Tacos al Pastor - 8/20/08

Robin Miller strikes again. Remember those BBQ pulled pork sandwiches? Well, I got tired of eating all of that BBQ, so I reworked it.

Tacos al Pastor

The recipe I have for tacos al pastor (shepherd-style or minister-style tacos) is not quite made like this, but all of the flavors are there. I cooked half of a chopped onion in some oil until they were soft. I added some chopped pineapple to this along with orange juice, white vinegar, minced garlic, salt, oregano, cumin, and some adobo sauce (for a little heat and smokiness). After letting the flavors meld, I added the remaining pre-cooked pork and mixed it all together with the sauce. While this cooked, I heated up some corn tortillas in a dry skillet, chopped up the remaining pineapple, and combined the other half of chopped onion with a copious amount of cilantro and some lime juice. Once the pork was heated through, I put it into one of the tortillas and topped with the pineapple, salsa and cilantro-onion mixture. The pork had a sweet-spicy tang that was offset by the fresh pineapple and the crunchy onion. The only problem with corn tortillas is that they get soggy a little quicker and I can eat my food. But they are healthier for you, so I guess it's a trade-off. The conclusion here: don't feel limited by yesterday's leftovers; they can easily become today's revamped meal.

No comments: