Sunday, December 2, 2007

Chicken Primavera - 11/28/2007

One of my default recipes for the last few years is my primavera sauce. I wanted to make a vegetable tomato sauce and I ended up making my own version of primavera. This time around I made it with angel hair pasta and chicken cutlets.

Chicken Primavera

You start with chopped garlic and red onion cooking in some olive oil. Then add the mushrooms, zucchini and some salt and pepper, cooking until they are about half done. Next, add drained canned garbanzos (chick peas), drained canned green beans, canned tomatoes plus their juices, and tomato sauce. Mix everything together and cook until heated through. Now is the time to add spices: oregano, parsley, basil, salt, pepper, thyme, and rosemary. This same recipe can be used with different vegetables (I've used yellow squash, before and you can add spinach, carrot, or pretty much any other vegetable that would withstand simmering) and spice combinations (including red pepper flakes or bay leaves). This sauce is excellent with pasta, chicken and fish, though I would imagine you could use it for seafood, pork, or veal too. Most of the veggies can come canned, so if you buy all of the basic ingredients and keep them on-hand, you can make it any time you want. For those who follow my blog, this is proof that I can make non-dessert items. ;-P

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's good to see you're not living entirely on dessert :)