Monday, January 25, 2010

Lemon Custard Pie

In keeping with the past few citrusy recipes, I celebrated last week's National Pie Day with this recipe for lemon custard pie from Gourmet magazine's last issue.


I skipped the crust-making steps and used a pre-made graham cracker crust. The filling is pretty much a lemon syrup that is turned into a custard. I used meyer lemons for this since I've been wanting to use these lemons for years. They have a smoother exterior and are supposed to be sweeter than normal lemons. I needed about 3 lemons for this recipe.


The pie turned out wonderfully flavor-wise. It was sweetly lemony, the near-perfect balance of tart and saccharine. On problem was that the filling seemed to dissolve the pre-made crust (see the crack in the picture), so next time I'll definitely make and blind-bake my own. But that was the only slight drawback on presentation and it had no effect on the flavor. For as much as citrus flavors are used for "summer" meals (think of lemonade), nothing gets you going like a mid-day snack of lemony goodness. It brings the same satisfaction as a lemon bar, except pie is involved. And who can say no to pie?

No comments: