Saturday, September 19, 2009

CSA Update

My community supported agriculture (CSA) shares are running out at the end of the month. They I'll actually have to go buy vegetables on my own or something...

CSA - 9/1/2009

One of my more recent shares included cabbage, two types of apples (gala and ginger gold, both similar to yellow delicious), turnips, cucumbers, onions, beets, potatoes, and yellow squash. Britt Farms is currently signing people up for next year's growing season. Payments are not needed until 2010 and if you pre-register, you will receive a free cookbook compiled by the farmers' and customers' recipes. Not only do you get fresh veggies every week, but you'll have new and interesting ideas for how to prepare them. I have greatly enjoyed this year's CSA. Having a box of widely varied and wonderful fruits and vegetables on a weekly basis has been a great way for me to eat a little healthier, not to mention helping out local economies. I guess the only drawback is that I have to buy a couple's share, meaning I either have to eat twice as many veggies as the average person, or some of it goes to waste. I think I'll try to find someone with whom I can split next year's deliveries. But all in all this is a wonderful opportunity.

Other parts of the food world are also trying this model out. Recently, a group of people have started up Walking Fish, a community supported fisheries (CSF) project. They are currently sold out, but I have the feeling more and more people will start to follow suit by offering their meats, fish, produce, honey, flowers, herbs, milk, etc. using this model. Word on the street is that milkmen have made a comeback as people are becoming more interested in where their food comes from. Backyard farms are on the rise. Local laws that ban owning some livestock are being overturned. It seems the locavore movement (the foodie craze of eating only locally-grown food) has made it to our backyards. I find this movement particularly amazing because this is how rural American and European communities have worked for centuries. We're on the verge of coming full circle, but this time around I feel we truly appreciate having a handle on understanding where food comes from.

No comments: