Thursday, August 6, 2009

The Week in Produce - 8/6/2009

CSA - 08/04/09

It seems like it was another good week for Britt Farms. My box was yet again full of a wondrous bounty. In the picture you can see a small head of cabbage, eggplant, two pints of cherry tomatoes (yellow and red), green peppers, yellow squash, blueberries, jalapenos, regular-sized tomatoes, and a good haul of corn. It seems melons are finally on the wane, which will give my taste buds some time to recover. This is the first year I've been able to eat melon at all. In years past I had a near unstoppable physical revulsion to them. But with some good tongue training (much better than weight training or house training), I've discovered the wonders of melon. Also, the tomatoes have been quite excellent. Ruby red on the inside and full of flavor without the bitterness. I can pop the cherry tomatoes into my mouth without fear that they will explode with sour disgustingness. They may be my new snack while I'm cooking.

At Harris Teeter this week, I was astounded to find fresh lychee. It is very unusual for normal grocers to carry this fruit, though I hear Asian markets will often have them at particular times of the year. I have no picture of them because two days after purchasing them, they were already moldy. They are a little bit of work to get through the red shell and avoid the kidney bean of a pit, but if you get a good batch they are worth it. If you don't want to work for it or you can't find them, most Asian markets do have them canned, which can often be just as good.

No comments: