Saturday, June 28, 2008

Beef & Noodle Stir Fry - 6/27/2008

Beef & Noodle Stir Fry

It is so nice to be able to cook for myself again. I stocked up on groceries today to prepare for some friends who are visiting for about 5 days. Amongst all of that I did pick up some good food for today. Sliced beef is marinated in minced garlic and ginger as well as some oyster sauce and soy sauce for 30 minutes. After finding this out, I took the opportunity to step out to the local post office to pass the time. Next, I boiled some water and cooked wide egg noodles. The recipe actually calls for rice noodles, but I could not find any so I subbed out egg noodles which are admittedly not as delicate, but nontheless still delicious. I cooked the beef until it was almost to where I like it (medium to medium-rare), then added the drained noodles to coat them in the beef juices. Then I added long pieces of scallions and cooked the mixture until the scallions were a little wilted. To add a little extra flavor, you add more oyster sauce, soy sauce and a little sugar. Toss to mix everything well and serve. And don't think oyster sauce means it will taste fishy, because this dish did not have that at all. For as few ingredients that are in the dish, it tasted very nice. It had an Asian flare without tasting like take-out. It had a simple yet elegant flavor, so give it a shot if you like.

No comments: