Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Burger Piccata - 05/18/08

I was watching a show on Food Network that showed a competition to build a better burger. I decided to recreate my own challenge at home.

Burger Piccata

My idea was burger piccata. I wanted to infuse the flavors of a piccata dish into a burger. My original intent was to use ground turkey or chicken, but, much to my chagrin, the store was out of both. I ended up using ground pork since I did not think ground beef would handle the flavors well. I found a nice pane rustico with rosemary for the bun. To the pork I added capers (with some of their juices), salt, pepper, breadcrumbs, and a little rosemary to echo the flavor in the bread. For the lemon flavor, I made a lemon butter sauce using butter, garlic, onion, lemon zest, and lemon juice. After cooking the burgers until they were done but still moist, I put them on the bun, spooned on some sauce and arranged some arugula on top for a nice peppery bite. I think this burger was a good effort, but I need to incorporate more lemon flavor in the meat itself. Maybe some lemon zest would help. The capers went well with the meat though and made a nice, flavorful addition.

No comments: